How to Sustain Excellent Oral Hygiene Amidst COVID-19 Virus
Jul 01, 2020
The world seems to have been crippled by a pandemic that has hit almost every nation there is. This has derailed most activities so that the world is not what we knew it to be. That, however, should not mean that your health should take a back seat. In fact, being a lot more cautious with your health can go a long way in fighting against the virus. As you figure out a way to remain healthy during this period, perhaps dental health should cross your mind a couple of times. If anything, oral hygiene should top your list when it comes to sustaining excellent dental health.
What Is Oral Hygiene?
It is the process of cleaning your oral cavity to ensure that it is clean and healthy at all times. While brushing your teeth is a big part of the process, oral hygiene covers more than just that.
It will be a big challenge to excel in your oral hygiene when you are stuck at home because of the virus. The only thing you can bank on is that you are not alone. Since the whole world has to adjust somehow because of the virus, today we take a look at oral hygiene during COVID-19. If you have struggled a bit with it, this is the perfect place for you to figure this out.
What Counts As Oral Hygiene?
Oral hygiene in Houston will be pretty easy when you result to visit a dental facility near you. With the current state of affairs globally, the regular trips to a dental facility have been curtailed. However, the basics of oral hygiene remain, including the following:
- Brushing teeth – with a toothbrush and toothpaste, you should figure out how to brush your teeth effectively. Be sure to take a few minutes doing this, to ensure you get all the plaque and food residues from your teeth.
- Flossing – brushing will not do enough to get rid of plaque in between your teeth. For this, you need dental floss.
- Rinsing – for the most part, water should be sufficient for getting rid of any residue plaque and debris in your mouth.
However, you can take it up a notch as we recommend for excellent oral hygiene in 77057. Use an antiseptic mouth rinse, which is fashioned for killing bacteria in the mouth.
Those three make the basics of oral hygiene at home. However, there is more you can do to achieve excellence in this area of your life.
Tips For Excelling in Oral Hygiene
With more free time in your hands than ever before, being an active participant in your hygiene will go a long way. Some tips to help you excel include the following:
- Brush more than once – if you can do it at least twice every day, then you are on the right path.
- Floss daily – don’t make flossing a once-in-a-blue-moon affair. Try to do it as often as once every day.
- Change your toothbrush – can you remember the last time you replaced your toothbrush? Dentists recommend doing it every three months or so. While at it, pick firm bristles that are also gentle enough for the sake of your gums.
- Clean your toothbrush – now that you know better than to have a one-year-old toothbrush, there is more. Cleaning your toothbrush is also a way to help maintain excellent oral hygiene. Consider rinsing it in hydrogen peroxide or boil it in clean water. Do this occasionally, but only to disposable toothbrushes, instead of electric ones.
- Pick the right toothpaste – a good type of toothpaste has fluoride content. The fluoride in it helps strengthen your teeth while keeping them white.
- Brush your tongue – the tongue may be a powerful muscle, but it can also be the home for all bacteria in your mouth. Be sure to incorporate tongue brushing when you brush your teeth. This way, you won’t be leaving behind any residues from foods you eat.
- Keep your hands out of your mouth – this goes for those that bite their fingernails or pick their teeth with nails. This is not only harmful to your teeth but can also increase your chances of getting the virus. Refrain from allowing your dirty hands in your mouth as much as possible.